read me like a book

flip the page

Friday, May 28

A friend of mine.

"over the past couple days i have been thinking about a girl who is getting an abortion. i dont know her, i dont know her situation but a few things stood out to me. . . she was having an abortion because "she" wasnt ready, because it was the best decision for "her" and "she" wanted to finish school and prosper in "her" life. is it me or have people become selfish and self-absorbed more and more every day? Honestly, i dont get it. There are instances when i completely understand.. you were raped and not wanting to keep the baby. fine, agreed, and totally understandable. BUT when you put yourself in the position in which you KNOW that you can get pregnant, "ruin your life", and make the biggest "mistake" in your life, is it not your responsibility to live with the consequences, if and when it happens? or does having the option to kill, yes kill, an innocent life of whom had none of the decision making in the matter because YOU can't live up to what you have done? is it not the most selfish thing you can do? There are so many options, keeping the baby, putting the baby up for adoption, or having an open adoption. there are so many options out there besides killing a child FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE. in life i have come to know plenty of courageous women, who have had unplanned pregnancies and have manned up in life and faced their consequences, not knowing what the outcome would have been. and guess what? they are JUST FINE to this day. granted their life may have not turned out the way they wanted it to turn out, but i can gaurantee that their child is their living pride of joy.hmm.. just a thought."


A friend of mine wrote this as a Facebook note. Although we aren't super close friends, I still consider her one. She now lives in Colorado with her high school sweetheart (now husband). He is off at war, and she is at home, pregnant. I love her to death for all her crazy life choices. 1. Getting married so young, 2.Being pregnant so young, 3. Moving to Colorado so young. Not once did I ever decide that I was better than her, that she was making the wrong choices. If that's what was right for her than so be it. But this? This I can't just stand by and not respond too. Now that she's pregnant she thinks she can walk around with this macho-mom attitude.

WRONG. You are only human, the difference between you and this girl who is deciding on an abortion is that you decided to keep it. Maybe you will have a better environment to raise your baby in. Oh but first off there's the fact that the baby's dad won't be there, second there'll be the fact that you don't have a job, and it'll be more difficult to get one while you're pregnant, and also while you have a child that needs constant care.

So that leaves your baby with Daddy-issues, and not so decent lifestyle with the shortage of money, and maybe mommy-issues once it's old enough for you to leave for a job all the time.


And you're gonna judge this girl? This girl who you claim is so selfish? You think you're being some hero by putting her down? By calling her selfish? At least when she does have a child, chances are she'll be more prepared and her baby will have a better life than yours.


Don't get me wrong I am so excited for you to have your child, I cannot wait because the one thing I want is a baby. However in my opinion you're stupid to have started so early. You gave up not only a huge portion of your life, but also the time to set up a better life for your baby.

And having a baby isn't "manning up." Such a masculine term shouldn't be associated with pregnancy. I don't know statistics or anything, but from what I know more often than not the man bails once a baby's involved. Is that what you consider "manning up?"


Why do I care so much? Why do YOU care so much? Why does this girls life matter to you. Be concerned with YOUR baby. Not hers. Be concerned with YOUR LIFE CHOICES


NOT.
HERS.

And I care because I know exactly what the girl is going through. People make mistakes, and we don't have to "deal with the consequences" by keeping it. Making the choice to keep it or not is enough consequence to deal with in itself. You think I'm happy about my choice? No if I could do it over again I'd probably do it differently.
And you know why I did it the way I did? Because I was thinking about the BABY not about me. What kind of life would I have to offer it? Especially when the only sex talk I had ever gotten was from my father and it went like this "You think you've seen me angry, come home pregnant and STAND BY."
That sure sounds like a household I wanna come back to.

So go enjoy your pregnancy and leave this girl out of it. She's making her own life choices you focus on yours.

Know that I love you.
But you need to realize how ignorant you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment